Home‎ > ‎

Club History

We were formed as a Men’s Club in the mid-thirties as part of the Watlington War Memorial Club.

The original green was big enough for three rinks and the first home fixtures were played in 1937.

We are now a mixed club with a starred 5 rink green, a new pavilion, automatic watering system, and well tended surrounds.

We are an Oxfordshire Club affiliated to the English Bowls Association, which allows a full range of competitive bowling. We also have a busy schedule of Club competitions, friendly matches and roll-ups for the less ambitious.

The Ladies section have a number of friendly matches throughout the season.

The Men have a team in the Oxfordshire Evening League. Their first season was 2008, which they were promoted to Div 3. In 2009 WBC unfortunately were relegated back to Div 4. However 2010 saw them once again promoted back to Div 3 which they emerged as Champions in 2011, promoted to Div 2. A much more challenging task is to maintain form and stay up. 

We have a mixed team in the Plomer Cup.

We were able to start Short Mat bowls as an extra activity during the winter months when the new pavilion was completed in 2006. There is a nominal charge for this and non members are welcome.


Comments